• 18 people transported after carbon monoxide incident in Douglas


    DOUGLAS, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) -- Eighteen people, including 16 children, were transported to local hospitals Monday after a carbon monoxide incident at the Douglas Municipal Center.

    Officials tell FOX 25 there were 77 people in the building at the time of the incident, including a group of kindergartners. The kindergarten children were moved to the elementary school where they were evaluated.

    Several ambulances responded to the scene. Some people were evaluated in the ambulances.

    Police Chief Patrick Foley said most of those hospitalized were complaining of headaches and nausea. All are expected to be okay.

    Authorities think the high levels of CO detected in the building were caused by a malfunctioning oil furnace. They plan to monitor the levels, but operations are expected to resume at the municipal center Tuesday morning if nothing changes overnight.

    Next Up: